Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've always loved Thanksgiving...there's something really amazing about a whole day devoted to being thankful. Not to mention being with sweet family and dear friends. And...the food. Ain't nothin' better than a leftover turkey sandwich.

As you might have guessed, our Thanksgiving this year is a bit non-traditional...it's not exactly a Central American holiday, so it hasn't really occurred to anyone around here (other than us) that Thanksgiving is upon us. And it's summer here...so we won't be firing up the ol' propane tank to cook a turkey or make a pumpkin pie.

But, we will be thankful.

In my kindergarten teaching days, I became all too familiar with the stories of pilgrims and Native Americans...and while I taught my students about the beginnings of Thanksgiving, I was quick to inform them that we celebrate Thanksgiving for one reason: simply to be thankful. Every year, I asked my students, "What are you thankful for?" Their responses made me laugh and cry...for the reason that they were nothing but honest. Some of my favorite responses to this question: "chocolate milk", "my grandma cause she loves me all the time", "oooh, oooh, cheetoes!"

While we sure are sad that we can't celebrate Thanksgiving with our families and our sweet friends, we sure are thankful for all the blessings we've been given right here.

Hope you're finding much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment