Saturday, October 1, 2011

Read Any Good Books Lately?

I'm a total sucker for a good book. That being said, I should probably confess that I'm a book snob. As in, I really only read books that have been recommended by a trusted source. I'm just not one of those gals who reads a book because the blurb on the back make it sound cool.

(I recognize that admitting my attitude about good books could lead to the additional admission about the fact that I can be a snob about other things, too...but I'll save that for another day.)

Leading up to most any vacation, I tend to border perilously close to the 'overweight' limit on my checked bag...often due, at least in part, to the stack of books I've packed.

Packing for Costa Rica was no exception....clearly.


But...at least I'm not the only one who has trouble narrowing down her book selection...as you can see, Julia's stack is larger than mine...


But in our household, there is no such thing as too many books...

So I'm sure this isn't the first time that you'll hear me say this...but...I have one hell of a good book for you. Before I brag about it, I'll give you some evidence.

All too often in the past few days I've been busted...not able to put this one down.

(Tough life, I know. That probably isn't the last time you'll have that thought about our life down here in Central America.)


 A Visit From the Goon Squad. By Jennifer Egan

Ooooh...it's so good and so smartly written. Clearly those folks that give out the Pulitzer agree with me, so it's not like I'm discovering something unknown or anything. But, if you haven't read this yet...you should. It profiles a variety of characters over the course of many years, each of their stories interwoven within to one another...I wish it could have gone on forever.

But, all good things must come to an end...and lucky for me, I've got a stack of good 'uns to choose from...

No comments:

Post a Comment